Proverbs 11:1…”The LORD detests dishonest scales, but accurate weights find favor with him.”
God provided man with free will. Since the beginning, man has used that free will to exert dominance over each other starting with, Cain and Abel. “Oh, God finds you more favorable huh? Ok. I’m just going to kill you. Solves that.” And on we’ve gone. All of human history is an ongoing story of who dominates who and the inevitable judgment to follow. What’s truly fascinating, is that each new generation of would-be dominators believes they’ve invented something new. This current age in America a prime example.
Equal Justice has never been known in the world. It’s a fantasy in a worldly sense. Justice is extremely real spiritually. There is equal justice and it will be applied. For that, we can be absolutely certain. The cross was the judgment. Christ took all of it. Our salvation. But still, despite the ultimate gift, man’s free will prefers short-sighted, ignorant, worldly fantasy. Spawned by the sentiment of Genesis 16:12…”He will be a wild donkey of a man; his hand will be against everyone and everyone’s hand against him, and he will live in hostility toward all his brothers.” There are over 100 references in biblical scripture to “weighted scales.” Do a Google search using that pairing. You’ll receive them.
Recently, I witnessed a young Puerto Rican man and a young African American man, friends, performing in a skit of improvised quick wit. The one kid, in complete innocent humor, referenced the enslavement of the other kid and his would-be selling on the block. Because of the preferred status of the 2 races in play, the joke was absorbed by all as simply – awkwardly acceptable from whom it was given. I made no outward expression at all. It was a trap of the most deadly kind. The psychology at play was that currently, it’s quite ok for race defamation of even the lowest kind, as long as it’s the races who’ve most recently seen evil persecution placed upon them doing it. That’s not equal justice…that’s just the next form of persecution rising. But nobody sees that. Man does not wish to see that. God’s equally weighted scale doesn’t operate in that fashion. Evil does not repay evil on human terms. Justice belongs to God alone.
Man is simply obsessed with these shells we’re in. The flesh. All evil revolves around the desires of something that lasts but a breath and then returns to the dust from which it came. We are not flesh and bones. We are eternal souls. Pastor, Max Lucado, posted on Facebook the day of this writing the following insight: “When God sees you, he sees his Son, not your sin.” That’s the identity of the believer. Jesus. What shell that believer happens to be in on earth makes no difference in any possible way. It’s a shell. God sees either a soul bound for judgment or a soul that’s been redeemed. All of those souls equally guilty under spiritual law. It’s not a difficult concept to grasp; we just simply don’t want to. God’s Kingdom is the coming equality. Man will never achieve it. Man will just continue on the cycle of replacing dominance with dominance. In a modern sense, consider rival street gangs. If one kills a member of another, the other kills two of it in revenge. This cycle never stops. Who will dominate who? This is all that man’s sinful heart cares about. Today’s equality warriors, cloaked in all their self-perceived robes of righteousness, are only in truth seeking revenge on the past generations of dominators. Then they will exert themselves into the same role and become the enemy they were fighting. It’s the work of Satan. Not their desire for deserved justice, but their gall to believe they have the right to administer it.
Seek your creator. In the wisdom and knowledge of, Proverbs, God gives us the map of how to ‘get along’ in this world. Study that book daily. Absorb the call most will ignore. The path is tiny and few will enter the Kingdom. Proverbs teaches us what the path looks like.
- To humans belong the plans of the heart, but from the LORD comes the proper answer of the tongue.
- All a person’s ways seem pure to them, but motives are weighed by the LORD.
- Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.
- The LORD works out everything to its proper end – even the wicked for a day of disaster.
- The LORD detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.
- Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for; through the fear of the LORD evil is avoided.
- When the LORD takes pleasure in anyone’s way, he causes their enemies to make peace with them.
- Better a little with righteousness than much gain with injustice.
- In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.
- The lips of a king speak as an oracle, and his mouth does not betray justice.
- Honest scales and balances belong to the LORD; all the weights in the bag are of his making.
- Kings detest wrongdoing, for a throne is established through righteousness.
- Kings take pleasure in honest lips; they value the one who speaks what is right.
- A king’s wrath is a messenger of death, but the wise will appease it.
- When a king’s face brightens, it means life; his favor is like a rain cloud in spring.
- How much better to get wisdom than gold, to get insight rather than silver!
- The highway of the upright avoids evil; those who guard their ways preserve their lives.
- Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.
- Better to be lowly in spirit along with the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud.
- Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers, and blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD.
- The wise in heart are called discerning, and gracious words promote instruction.
- Prudence is a fountain of life to the prudent, but folly brings punishment to fools.
- The hearts of the wise make their mouths prudent, and their lips promote instruction.
- Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.
- There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death.
- The appetite of laborers works for them; their hunger drives them on.
- A scoundrel plots evil, and on their lips it is like a scorching fire.
- A perverse person stirs up conflict, and a gossip separates close friends.
- A violent person entices their neighbor and leads them down a path that is not good.
- Whoever winks with their eye is plotting perversity; whoever purses their lips is bent on evil.
- Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained in the way of righteousness.
- Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self-control than one who takes a city.
- The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the LORD.
Jesus is King. Justice belongs to the Lord. Listen. Believe. Live.
Our old self is buried with Jesus. His cross took it away. Did I ever need that.
Yes. Sadly, Jesus took the wrath we deserve. Gladly, we get to live with him eternally because he did. War over. 🙂